Particles contained within cosmetic eye products can migrate to the ocular surface, destabilize the tear film and result in discomfort and destruction of the ocular structures in the front of the eye. Since the FDA does not require these products to be approved before they are marketed, many of the lotions and potions we use have harmful ingredients that can cause damage to our eyes.
A list of the most harmful ingredients that we may come in contact with on a daily basis. Becoming aware about these nasty offenders is important and allows us to be empowered to make better choices to support our overall health and well-being. Join Hamilton Vision Center and “nix” these harmful substances!
Be careful about what products you are applying around your eyes! Skincare products can migrate up to one centimeter, so only use eye-specific products around this delicate area. Do NOT permit harmful ingredients to compromise your tear film and vision just for the sake of looks.
• Share makeup
• Apply makeup while moving
• Use waterproof makeup – these ingredients obstruct vital lid anatomy
• Wash hands before applying makeup
• Remove makeup daily
• Clean brushes regularly
Harmful ingredients list in cosmetics & skincare
• Benzalkonium Chloride (BAK)
• Coal tar hair dyes and other coal tar ingredients
• Ethanolamines (MEA/DEA/TEA)
• Isopropyl cloprostenate
• Parabens (methyl-, propyl-, isobutyl-, and others)
• Petroleum distillates
• Phthalates (DBP, DEHP, DEP)
• Polyethylene glycol
• Propylene glycol
• Retinyl acetate, retinoic acid, retinol (Vitamin A Palmitate)
• Sodium Lauryl Sulfate
• Triclosan and Triclocarban